1. Take the precept to abstain from killing.
2. Take the precept to abstain from stealing.
3. Take the precept to abstain from adultery.
4. Take the precept to abstain from lying.
5. Take the precept to abstain from liquor.
And did the thought never occur to you that you also are subject to decay, that you also cannot escape it?
And did the thought never occur to you that you also are subject to disease, that you also cannot escape it?
And did the thought never occur to you that you also are subject to death, that you also cannot escape it?
Not for the sake of My own well-being I practice universal benevolence,
but... it is My desire to contribute to the happiness of living beings!
Do not do to others what you would not like be done to yourself!
Goodwill toward all beings is the true religion!
Cherish in your hearts boundless goodwill toward all that lives!
You must not worry; your mouth must not say evil words; you must remain benevolent, with pure loving hearts, thinking no evil.
And even your enemies you have to embrace with loving thoughts,
generous thoughts, deep and boundless thoughts purified from anger and hatred!
The distinctive signs of true religion are goodwill, love, truthfulness, purity, nobility of feeling, and kindness.
Immortality can be reached only by continuous acts of kindness; Perfection is accomplished by compassion and charity.
That which is most needed is a loving heart!
“I am being hated, mistrusted, misunderstood and deceived by others!” — he who harbors such thoughts in his mind can never become free from the causes which inflict their destructiveness upon the thinker.
Whatever harm one man may do to another, the evil-thinking mind inflicts even greater harm (upon its owner).
Evil… is born of the selfhood, and in the selfhood is its cause.
Evil “polishes” the universe like a diamond…
I teach you to avoid the ten evils:
1. Kill not, but have regard for life!
2. Steal not, neither do you rob, but help everybody to be master
of the fruits of their labor!
3. Abstain from impurity, and lead a life of chastity!
4. Lie not, but be truthful! Speak the truth with discretion,
fearlessly, and with a loving heart!
5. Invent not evil reports, neither do you repeat them! Carp not,
but look for the good sides of your fellow-beings, so that you may with
sincerity, defend them against their enemies!
6. Swear not, but speak decently and with dignity!
7. Waste not the time in gossip, but keep to the purpose or keep
8. Covet not, nor envy, but rejoice at the fortunes of others!
9. Cleanse yourself of malice and harbor no hatred, not even
against your enemies, but embrace all living beings with kindness!
10. Free your mind of ignorance and be anxious to learn the truth,
especially in the one thing that is needed, lest you fall a prey either to
skepticism or to errors!
Let no one deceive another, let no one despise another, let no one
wish to harm another out of anger or resentment!
1. Do not kill!
2. Do not steal!
3. Do not commit adultery!
4. Do not tell lies!
5. Do not slander!
6. Do not speak harshly!
7. Do not engage in idle talks!
8. Do not covet others’ property!
9. Do not show hatred!
10. Think righteously!